Friday, October 24, 2014

Hiking Chch


Christchurch really grew on me his week. The clouds went away and despite a couple overnight rain showers, the weather really improved. It's still much colder than I thought it would be -- looks like I won't be needing all those tank tops I packed -- but I took the opportunity to get outside and get moving. I took almost the first week off as I adjusted to jet lag. It's a 17 hour difference so I was too tired after work and I was putting in serious effort to try to sleep until my alarm in the morning, so I figured waking up the sun was probably counter productive. As the jet lag wore off I was able to run after work, and it felt so good :)


Stop 1: Hagley Park and the Christchurch Botanical Gardens 
I'm about a mile from Hagley Park, a large park that has so much going on. There's a golf course, rugby fields, a little lake, the Christchurch Botanical Gardens and so much more. I found a nice running route around the north part of the park, and through the botanical gardens. The strange part is, there are hardly any people running here! The park has a presence in the city like central park, and some people run the outside loop of the park, but there aren't too many people cutting around the trails. Such a change for me! Also the "river" here is more like a creek. One of my coworkers told me to run along the river, and that was definitely not what I expected.


Bridge over the "River" in the Christchurch Botanical Gardens

Stop 2: Rapaki Track
This is the "hill" Sarah wanted to run up last weekend. It's actually a track, maintained by the government and hikers are warned that it is "extremely steep" in some places.
The Final Ascent

With the long weekend, nearly everyone in the office decided to travel (oh yeah, I forgot to mention Monday is NZ labour day). So Friday after work I went out to try to Rapaki track again. It was just as beautiful as last time, but this time on my way down I caught the sunset- amazing.

Sunset on the Way Down Rapaki Track

 I love this route because you get to be so close to so many sheep and the way they look at you just makes me laugh. 




Everybody Smile!




I posted this before, but I love the way this guy just looked at me as I was running down. Not as scared of humans as they probably should be.

The Rapaki Track also is one of those routes that rewards you at the top. The top of the track is at the summit of the port hills, and when you get there you look on to the bay on the other side of the hills that you wouldn't be able to see any other way. It really is incredible. The picture I took really doesn't so it justice. Mom, I'm hoping you'll try this one day Christchurch cause your photo will certainly be better than mine. 


View from the Top!



Clearly I would recommend this to a friend.



Stop 3: Taylor's Mistake
Today my only real plan was to move in to Sarah's apartment, but not until late afternoon, so I decided to drive out to Taylor's Mistake and do the 3-hour hike there. This one was a little different from Rapaki Track because it's on the water the whole way and you're going from the top of one of the port hills, around the hill and then down to Taylor's Mistake beach. The drive to get there was terrifying! It's a one lane road, for two-way traffic, on the side of a mountain, with no guardrail. On the way up you're on the outside lane (driving on the left) and I wasn't entirely sure I was going the right way, so when I finally got to the carpark I was so relieved. There were a couple steep parts but generally not too bad. I think I'll try to run it next time.
Headed to that little patch of sand in the middle of the frame


Another view - this time showing the track I'm walking on along the way


A look back along the track


Made it.



Almost back to the start you walk along this gorgeous bay


Last turn before the top

No comments:

Post a Comment