Thursday, November 6, 2014

November Project Christchurch?

I've never considered myself a super runner, and until I left New York, and as a result, November Project, I didn't realize how much it had been influencing my life.
Just waking up the sun with some burpees on the East River

For anyone who doesn't know about November Project, it's a free fitness group in 16 cities in the US/Canada that (official as of today) has 3,934 members! I joined November Project in May after hearing about it from a friend and since then these people have become some of my most fun, fit, and close friends. I've never joined a running group before, so I guess you could say I don't really know, but November Project is so much more than a running group. For starters you don't run from point A to point B. You run loops around a central point, and everyone is at a different part of the course at all times so you are never alone (or last). Sometimes I run different laps with different friends, or talk to someone I've never met before because we're running next to each other, and some mornings I just go hard and challenge myself to run the most laps that I can.They also have a Positivity Award, and every week they tell the most amazing story about a different person at November Project who is making everyone around them a better person.
Not the positivity award, but I got Pin the Badger (on loan) for my birthday from Coach John. November Project is really good at celebrating birthdays
There are a lot of photos taken, and a lot of hugs given, and I have more energy on Wednesdays because I woke up at 5:45 am and ran around with these crazy people, than any other day when I sleep until 7:30. Lastly and possibly most importantly, the tribe (that's what they call the group in each city) drinks. And the tribe never has a bad time. These people know how to celebrate a race, support each other at charity events, and enjoy a few margaritas on a Friday night.
Some of my favorite NP friends celebrating our Bronx 10 Miler
I was really finding my stride is this group of amazing people when I got my 6 days notice of leaving New York City (Just for two months... but still). Having such an amazing group of people in New York, made leaving that much harder. When I first got to Christchurch and talked to a few of my best friends (who haven't joined November Project yet), they both asked 1. Do they have NP there? 2. Is there anything similar you can join? They get me. But unfortunately there is not.

The most homesick I've been so far was last Wednesday when I woke up to a message saying I had missed an awesome bridge workout. Bridge days at November Project are my FAVORITE and all the sunrise photos on instagram were breaking my heart.
I mean, how can you NOT be homesick for this sunrise? Amazing photo by Emily Faherty

I was excited to run the Fidelity Life Corportate Challenge with my coworkers this week, but also nervous that it wouldn't be as much of a celebration as my other races have been recently. I shouldn't have underestimated it, because I had a really good time, and am feeling so much better about Christchurch as a result.

The race was on Wednesday, but due to some pretty extreme weather, we didn't think the race was going to happen...
Tuesday night, when I was leaving work, I heard thunder in the distance, and a few minutes in to my drive it started hailing. Over the next couple minutes, as I drove about a quarter of a mile, the hail got heavier and heavier and about an inch of ice accumulated on the roads. It honestly looked like a blizzard had just hit. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced, so of course I looked it up on the internet when I got home. There were no news stories! Apparently, this happens with some frequency, and New Zealand doesn't have the sensationalized/frenzied media culture that the US does, so there was literally nothing on the internet about it. What remote island am I living on?!
Literally awful.
And that road was clear 5 minutes ago.

On Wednesday, race day, it POURED off and on all day. I'm talking some serious rain. No one wanted to be the one to bail and let anyone else down, so we all put on our TT shirts and went to the race. It started pouring as the rain began, but we ran hard. I PRed and had a ton of fun.
The group from the office who walked/ran the Corporate Challenge! 
I wore my TT shirt for the race because there wasn't bag check and I had to wear it for the photo, but immediately after changed in to my grassroots gear. Upon seeing my grassroots gear, my coworker Jen reacted, "OH November Project is your running group?!?! That's so awesome!! It's their birthday tomorrow or something, right?" Why yes it is. Happy 3rd Birthday NP! The amount of joy Jen's comment brought me is almost embarrassing. Having someone here, on the other side of the world, understand exactly what I missed about home brought me so much relief. And of course I was even happier to hear her say "We should start NP Christchurch!"
Drenched from the rain, but had to take a photo in my #grassrootsgear
After the race we all went to a cafe called C1. They only serve sliders, but they are delivered to you via a network of tubes that go around the restaurant and end up at your table. I have no idea how it works, but it was really fun, and, surprisingly, the food was good! I love most food and enjoy being an adventurous eater, but the food in this country has been pretty bad. (Except the tim tams- the tim tams are good. And apparently the chocolate milk.) I even had a great Kiwi beer, brewed in Nelson where I was last weekend. Overall, the night was really fun -- running, eating, drinking, and laughing. It felt like that little part of home that I so missed, had come to help me out in Christchurch.

This morning when I woke up to messages about my friends PRs at November Project, I was so much happier to hear about it than the week before. And so thrilled to hear #3014 was met!

This weekend I'm going to be missing the race that I organized in honor of my big, Miriam Frankl. I am so blessed to have family and friends who are going to go to Chicago in my absence, meet Miriam's parents, and remember one person who has influenced my life in so many ways. I could go on and on about my big, but for those who are reading, thank you for the support and for the donations to the scholarship fund, and to those running this weekend, I owe you a big hug next time I see you. Just know I'm thinking of you and wish I could be there. Give Miriam's family and friends a big hug from me.

So to November Project, I miss you and I cannot wait to see all of your beautiful faces December 31st for bridge day (this is my #verbal). To the runners in Chicago, race hard and have fun, I wish I were there, and to my coworkers and new running friends, thanks for making me a whole lot less homesick this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment